Family Court’s Order Granting Stepfather’s Petition to Adopt Stepson Vacated and Remanded for New Hearing due to Family Court’s Failure to Utilize the Constitutionally Mandated Clear and Convincing Standard.
W.H.J. v. J.N.W., J.A.W., and N.H.J., A Minor Child Case No. 2022-CA-1055-ME Warren Circuit Court, Family Court Division Decided by Caldwell, Dixon, and Eckerle, Judges Opinion by Caldwell, Judge Date Rendered: May 19, 2023 Issue: Whether Stepparent Adoption Could be Upheld Despite Family Court’s Failure to Utilize the Clear and Convincing Evidence Standard Mother and…
- Notice of Appeal Cannot be Electronically Filed in Termination of Parental Rights (“TPR”) Cases.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit Holds that Foster Parents Lack Liberty Interest in Relationship with Foster Children
- Courts Must Inquire as to Indigency in Stepparent Adoptions
- Sixth Circuit Holds No Constitutional Prohibition on State Limitations of Medical Treatments for Minors
- Trial Court Erred by Awarding 100% of Post-Separation Increases to Husband